Friday, October 10, 2008

There's a Wolf at the Door.

I'm a pretty optimistic person. I try to look on the bright side, or I just see the bright side for the most part. But lately, my optimism has been waning.

Today as I read the news (why oh why do I do this to myself?) on cnn.com I started to feel panic. Even though the headline loudly says "Anxiety Makes it Worse" and "Calm Down, Be Brave". Frankly I feel a bit anxious and not very brave right now.

I googled Depression era recipes. I also looked up Victory Gardens. I perused some of my favorite blogs and after awhile came to the conclusion that I need to do something in order to feel like I am doing something.

Make sense?

I've been paralyzed by the mortgage meltdown. Frozen by the Dow sliding into no-man's-land. Held hostage by the drama of a desperate Republican Party.

It's like someone pressed pause on my normal life. I don't like it one bit.
Now, I realize that I can't change the past, or help with crude oil prices, but I can do small things at home to prepare for whatever is headed our way.

So in the interests of distracting myself from the current disaster at hand, I am going to do the following during the next 3 days...

Harvest tomatoes that have been ripening under my WT Greenhouse (WT = white trash hehe).

Cook down said tomatoes into sauce and freeze.

Whip up some curtains to save energy and make our home more cozy.

Finish organizing and mouse-proofing my new pantry area in the garage.

Bake stuff. Not only does it warm the house, it warms the soul.

And last, but not least, log off the internet and stay off of it until Monday when I am back at work.

I seriously need a break from all the dire news.

Cheers.

2 comments:

It's me said...

HOLY COW!!! First piece of advice is don't do so much... you make the rest of us slackers look bad!!!

And that's what we ARE doing... a little bit here, a little bit there... we're preparing and we're thinking ahead. That's the difference between us and the rest of America. They're happily sitting there waiting for their dear "Uncle" (sam) to come along and save them. We seem to know that THAT is not the case and that we need some self-sufficiency. So you are doing well... But see ya Monday anyway.

Go make some mustard. :)

Danni said...

I hear you, Heather - I've all but stopped reading the news...all it does is make me angry and anxious now, too. I am watching the debates...I can't help it. I'm trying to pay attention to what other people actually see and respond to in the Repub candidates. I don't want another shock-of-my-life like I got 4 years ago when I really believed we were all on the same page with removing the dolt from office. Anyway, I digress. In the last two days, I've baked bread and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I've picked apples and tomatoes and (yes, still) raspberries. I finished digging all my potatoes. It does my heart good. I think you're on the right track.
Your new pantry sounds fun.
I wish I had a WT greenhouse. lol
I hope you have a lovely weekend. :-)