Saturday, November 22, 2008

A milking we shall go




First off, I am sorry I have been so remiss in my posts. It's 4th quarter and I work for a major chain of stores that really wants to make some money, so I am a wee bit preoccupied working on that.

However, that hasn't stopped me from accidentally finding a herd of dairy goats to buy. Yes, me the girl who lives in the city still has just agreed to purchase 9 Nubian does, most of whom may be with kid.

Luckily this is where the family farm comes in. And my wonderful dad who is retiring next year...he will become the reluctant goat farmer hehe.

You see, there are about 2 acres that overgrow with bushes, grass, tree starts and blackberries every year and these wonderful girls will clear it for us and make us lovely milk.

Lucky they come with their own keeper. His name is Luis.

I am going out to the goat's current home on Wednesday to work out the details of their purchase.

I am - now - one step closer to the dream of becoming a farm girl once more.

Yay.

3 comments:

Danni said...

Oh yay - congratulations, heather!!
I've seen you make mention of this goat herd twice now and I was, like, what the heck...when did she mention this?? :-)
How will this work, have you figured out all the details? Will you move out to your parents' farm or let your pa be the goat shepherd for a while?
This is *very* exciting. And they're nubians? (judging from the label you gave the bottom of the post...)
I'm very happy for you...

Milkweed said...

Congratulations!

I am very intrigued about the "they come with their own keeper" part, though.

Sounds like there will be lots of goats milk ice cream, goat cheese, goat yogurt, etc etc etc in your future!

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

You are not the only one who's been remiss in posting -- me too!!! I took quite a bit of time off for holiday travels.

I hope the goat herd works out. I'm so happy for you!

Blessings!
Lacy